2016 United Way Board of Directors - Back row: Phillip Hudson, John Moncure, Kirk Mays, John Hallman, Bob Gulledge, Mary Anne Byrd Front row: Donny Supplee, Debra Edwards, Caitlin Corbett, Alfred Mae Drakeford, Ivory Bradford, Tracie Rice, Kesha Hayes, Julie Trott, John Clinton, Connie Rouse. Missing from picture: Eddie Adamson, Bob Lumpkin, Michael Wright, Brennan Aschleman, Matia Goodwin, Brad Hanley, John Fulmer, Tina Lockhart, Terry Gunn, Chris Jones.
Follow us on Facebook for updates, events, and how Kershaw County is being impacted by
Message from our President:
Our community and our United Way are blessed to have so many dedicated staff and volunteers. Below is a sampling of a few of our great successes from the past year:
* We kicked off a new Mobile Nutrition Center and transformed a rusty old warehouse into a distribution center to serve our entire county
* Celebrated 10 years of operating New Day on Mill, a family shelter with five cottagers that served more than 150 people. 93% have moved into permanent housing and 83% have improved their income status.
* We served 49,957 meals at 31 sites throughout the county to 1,745 youth through the summer food program.
* Moved toward a healthier community through the efforts of Eat Smart, Move More to build a connector trail from Woodward to Scott park as part of the larger vision for a complete trails plan for the county.
* Helped 63 families stay in their own homes and helped 21 homeless individuals secure permanent housing.
* Rebounded from the loss of a $70,000 federal grant and ended the year in the black. We also kept our overhead (administration and fundraising costs) for our United Way under 13% insuring that most of the funds given go to programs and services that change our county for good.
* Promoted mentoring in our schools with approximately 50 mentors and 100 mentees in individual and group mentoring endeavors.
* From Board Members to chili cookers, and from Day of Caring hands on help to Committee work, our volunteers played a critical role in the above accomplishments!